Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Practicing Non-aggression

How wonderful are the teachings of Buddhism. There is such an acceptance of how horrible life is and then how to flow through it like water. One drop may not make that big of a difference, but when a river flows it changes the landscape forever.

I am a Buddhist as well as a Christian. My mind has been drawn closer to Buddha for the last couple of weeks. I had the privilege to attend the blessing and distribution of a mandal in Zion’s Park. Ok in Springdale, which is right next to it. But it was the most wonderful experience and well worth the 4+ hour drive. To see the monks working to create such a thing of beauty, and then gladly destroy it; I am in awe.

There were easily two hundred people at the ceremony. Such prayer and devotion to making the world a little better. Like those bits of sand, it may seem so small and ineffective, but I’m sure everyone there will remember the experience. How the voices of the monk seem to make the universe sit up and take notice. We walked for ten or more minuets from the community center to the Virgin river; stopping traffic. People came out of restaurants and hotel rooms. They took pictures and joined in. Even as the final prayers were being offered a young man and (probably) his mother came floating by in the river. It was wonderful. For an hour or so the world was at peace.

I miss that feeling.

I’m quite depressed right now and little things make large wounds. Do people know who hurtful action or a word can be? I live in a largely LDS (Mormon) community and even the people here, who are basically “nice” to those who know them, are full of angry words and opinions. We inflict pain in little ways all the time…like when we don’t signal while driving a car (that one make me very nervous when I drive – I hate driving) or when someone has a different opinion than us, or when we are at church and someone lets their child cry loudly so as to make it impossible to hear the sermon being given. Do we know how wounding our lives are to those around us. Human are selfish creatures.

I want things to happen. I want things to change. I want and then I forget the teachings of my Master – Christ the greatest Buddha

No comments: